Each fall, the MA TESOL program enrolls approximately 8-10 new students who come from around the United States and other parts of the world. Applicants should have a four-year degree and a strong undergraduate record, particularly in courses taken during the last two years of study. It is advisable for students to have taken some coursework in a related field as an undergraduate, but it is not required.
- Applications are submitted online. Note: The application form will ask you if you are interested in a graduate assistantship. Please see the Financial Aid page of our website for information. Applying for a teaching assistantship is a separate process.
- Students are admitted only for the FALL semester.
- Applicants should have their materials submitted by the end of January and no later than the end of March to be considered for the following fall semester. If you are planning to apply for a teaching assistantship with the English Language Center, your application materials for the TESOL program should be submitted by no later than mid January.
- There is no provisional or conditional admission.
- NOTE: The TESOL program is unable to accept applications from individuals applying through the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY:
All applicants whose first language is not English, even those with a degree from an English-language institution, must provide English language competency scores.
- For the TOEFL, the following overall minimum score is required: 100 on the internet-based test (iBT) with no subscore below 22; 250 on the computer-based test; or 600 on the paper-based test. The iBT is strongly preferred.
- For the IELTS, an overall minimum score of 7.0 is required, with no subscore below 6.5.
- The test scores must be valid for up to two years prior to the beginning of the enrollment semester.
- Test scores must be sent directly to MSU from the testing agency. For the TOEFL, MSU's institution code is 1465 and the department code is 04 (linguistics).
Because of the differences in the information required for domestic and international applicants, please follow the link below to the appropriate document. Each document covers topics such as letters of recommendation, the GRE, and transcripts.
DOMESTIC APPLICANTS: PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING, AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING, AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
NOTE: If you have any questions, contact the program director, Dr. Debra M. Hardison at email@example.com.